Universal Credit and backdated pay

If you receive Universal Credit the amount you get changes if your take-home pay changes. This includes awards of backdated pay. When your backpay for the 2022/23 local government pay settlement is paid on 22 December, your Universal Credit payment will either be less than you normally receive or your income may be too high to qualify for a payment and your claim will close.

Universal Credit is calculated on your personal circumstances. Because of this the Council do not know how, or if, you may be affected.

If your claim closes, you will see a message on your UC Journal telling you about this.

Will Universal Credit Payments Start Again Automatically?

No. If Universal Credit payments stop because you have had additional pay, you must start up your claim again. You should do this as soon as you can to make sure you do not miss out.

How Do I Reclaim Universal Credit?

Log into your UC journal and select the “Reclaim” tab. You will find this at the bottom of the screen. This will take you to a new screen where you will be asked to answer a few simple questions. If you have any problems doing this, contact your Work Coach or visit your local Jobcentre Plus.

Advice about Universal Credit

You can get independent help and advice about Universal Credit from The Advice Shop on 0131 200 2360 advice.shop@edinburgh.gov.uk.

You can access your UC Journal at www.gov.uk/sign-in-universal-credit

An overview of Universal Credit can be found at www.gov.uk/universal-credit

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *