Yesterday, activists from Unite, Unison and Another Edinburgh is Possible demonstrated outside the City Chambers to protest the proposals to close Council care homes.
Read about the campaign to Save Our Care Homes.
The Edinburgh Integrated Joint Board were noting the progress of the Bed Based Care Strategy that was proposed at the previous June meeting. The proposals look to close 4 Council-run care homes, convert one into a hospital care setting and convert the remaining Council-run homes to nursing homes. This would see the removal of Council-run residential care homes in the city. The plans would cut over 200 beds in Council care homes.
Continue reading “Demo at City Chambers —#SaveOurCareHomes”
Standing up and speaking out against council cuts
Yesterday, Unite reps and members met outside the City Chambers before the Full Council budget meeting to demonstrate against the continued cuts to services and jobs.
Your branch officials gave a deputation to speak out against the cuts and raise our concerns with
- the impact of cuts on citizens and workers
- spending on debt interest payments
- using digital technology to make savings and deliver services
- the use of a 3-year budget when the Council only has a 1-year settlement from the Scottish Government, especially in these changing times
- exclusion of citizens and workers with disabilites due to how digital technology is introduced.
Watch the webcast—our deputation is item 3d and read our brief guide to the budget below.
Continue reading “Council budget 2020”