On Thursday (28th), trade unionists and campaigners met at the Workers’ Memorial Tree in Princes Street Garden to mark International Workers Memorial Day, an annual event to commemorate those that have died at and due to work and to galvanise our fight to protect the health and safety at workers.
The event was introduced by Kathy Jenkins of Scottish Hazards. Speakers included
- Ian Mullen, Unison Edinburgh Health and Safety Officer
- Brian Robertson, Unite CEC Branch Secretary
- Claire Robertson, EIS Health and Safety rep and chair of the Edinburgh TUC
- Liz Taylor, Unite Health and Safety rep
- Prof Andrew Watterson, Stirling University.
Your branch laid a wreath at the tree to remember workers that have died at work.