When others are striking

When other groups of workers are striking, whether that’s because they were balloted specifically or belong to another union, you should be aware of your rights.

Read the Council’s guide to industrial action (PDF)

Read Unite’s guide for members not involved in industrial action (PDF)

Key facts

Your manager should not ask if you are in a union or what union you are in. They have no right to know. Trade union membership is confidential. If anyone is asking about your union membership, contact the rep in your area immediately.

You cannot be disciplined if you refuse to cross a picket line.

Workers should not carry out the work of striking workers. Contact your local rep if you have concerns.

For the days you do not work due to striking or not crossing a picket you will lose

  • pay for those days
  • pension contributions.

You can buy back lost pension contributions.

Only workers that are on officially on strike are entitled to claim strike pay from their union.

You do not have to inform your manager in advance if you choose not to work on a strike day. It can be helpful if you let them know on the day.

Support the strike

For strikes over pay, one group of workers in the council is standing up on behalf of us all. Striking workers are sacrificing pay and standing on the frontline in the fight for better conditions, so it is important that council workers that are not on strike appreciate this. Talk to other workers and make clear the message that the strikers are doing it for you!

There are many other ways to support a strike. You can

  • visit pickets to show support and bring refreshments
  • join in any demonstrations or events during the strike—we’ll post details here
  • post your support or sharing posts from this website on social media
  • print posts from this website to display in Council workplaces
  • donate to the cause
  • make placards, banners and flags for pickets and demos.

Strikes over pay aim to bring the Scottish Government to the table, as they control the funding for our pay. Contact your MSP to ask that they support the strike and demand funding for council workers is very helpful!