Welfare and hardship

You can suffer hardship for a number of reasons. Whether your wages were withheld or you are on long-term sick, we can help support you.

First, contact your workplace rep. They can help you make the most of your options at work and can deal with workplace issues.

Then seek financial advice, to make sure you are getting all the benefits you are entitled to and can access any free support available. These places can help.

Benefits and financial help

Turn2us can help you get benefits and grants

entitledto has a benefits calculator and advice.

You can also apply to Unite’s benevolent fund for financial support through hardship.

Edinburgh support for various matters

Granton Information Centre supports residents in the north.

Community Help and Advice Initiative (CHAI) offer support and advice in the west.

Citizens’ Advice Bureau has five centres across the city, advising on all sorts of issues.

The Advice Shop offer advice on debt and welfare rights.

The Council’s details of  benefits and grants, including crisis grants.

Crew 0131 220 3404: provides guidance and support on drug taking and sexual health

Housing and homelessness

Foursquare 0131 557 7900: provides housing and homelssness support and advice

Edinburgh Cyrenians 0131 475 2354: provides services for those experiencing or at risk of homelessness


Ethnic Minorities Law Centre 0141 204 2888 (Monday to Friday 9.30am to 10.30am): provides legal representation and advice on asylum, immigration and other issues affecting ethnic minority communities and individuals

Civil Legal Advice Office can offer legal help around benefits, debt and housing.

Unite Legal Services provide one free 30 minute legal consultation on any topic for each member.

Health and disability

The Action Group 0131 475 2315: provides support, advice and advocacy on a range of issues for children and adults with support needs and learning difficulties, and support for carer

Health in Mind 0131 205 8508 provides a range of support services for people suffering from mental health-related issues

NHS Lothian Working Health Services 0131 537 9579: provides a range of advice and support services for people experiencing ill health at work

Access 2 Work provides and funds support at work for people with a disability or health condition.

Other advice

Often services are delivered to and for those living in specific geographical areas (e.g. Granton Information Centre, CHAI) or for those with specific characteristics (e.g. Ethnic Minorities Law Centre, The Action Group). A key point to note is that: if an organisation cannot support you because you live outwith their area, or your characteristics don’t permit them to assist you they may still be able to guide towards a service that can support you.