If you are having difficulties in your job, whatever the reason, we can help by
- talking with you to let you know your rights
- helping you articulate your concerns to your manager
- supporting you in disciplinary and grievance procedures
- finding legal representation for you
- advising on legal matters
- advising on health and safety
- ensuring equalities rights in the workplace.
Welfare and hardship
You can suffer hardship for a number of reasons. Whether your wages were withheld or you are on long-term sick, we can help support you.
First, contact your workplace rep. They can help you make the most of your options at work and can deal with workplace issues.
The organisations below can help with other matters.
If an organisation below cannot support you because you live outwith their area, they can still guide you towards a service that can support you.
Benefits and financial help
- Turn2us can help you get benefits and grants
- entitledto has a benefits calculator and advice.
- Apply to Unite’s benevolent fund for financial support through hardship.
Edinburgh support for various matters
- Granton Information Centre supports residents in the north of Edinburgh with money matters and housing issues.
- Community Help and Advice Initiative (CHAI) offer support and advice in the west of Edinburgh with money matters, housing and substance misuse issues.
- Citizens’ Advice Bureau has five centres across the city, advising on all sorts of issues.
- The Advice Shop offer advice on debt and welfare rights.
- The Council’s details of benefits and grants, including crisis grants.
- Crew 0131 220 3404: provides guidance and support on drug taking and sexual health
Housing and homelessness
- Foursquare 0131 557 7900: provides housing and homelssness support and advice
- Edinburgh Cyrenians 0131 475 2354: provides services for those experiencing or at risk of homelessness
- Ethnic Minorities Law Centre 0141 204 2888 (Monday to Friday 9.30am to 10.30am): provides legal representation and advice on asylum, immigration and other issues affecting ethnic minority communities and individuals
- Civil Legal Advice Office can offer legal help around benefits, debt and housing.
- Unite Legal Services provide one free 30 minute legal consultation on any topic for each member.
Health and disability
- The Action Group 0131 475 2315: provides support, advice and advocacy on a range of issues for children and adults with support needs and learning difficulties, and support for carer
- Health in Mind 0131 205 8508 provides a range of support services for people suffering from mental health-related issues
- NHS Lothian Working Health Services 0131 537 9579: provides a range of advice and support services for people experiencing ill health at work
- Access 2 Work provides and funds support at work for people with a disability or health condition.